On Oct 3, 2006, at 1:18 PM, Peter J Murray wrote:

> Hello
>
> We are running into an issue where people want a collaborative
> calendar system and I know that Exchange fits the bill perfectly.
> Can you run exchange and only use the calendering part of it?  Can
> you send meeting requests and all that or does that require you to
> use the mail component as well?
>
> Also, is there something else that's even close that might work
> this way?

Outlook supports the use of CalDAV syncing via plugins(both free and
non-free). You could use this to plug into a free caldav server like
cosmo, or UW Calendar. The added benefit of using a caldav based
service is that users would be able to also use different clients
like Apple's iCal, Mozilla Sunbird, or Novell Groupwise to access the
calendars.
--Ray