On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 05:02:17PM -0400, Hoort, Brian wrote:

> I hope that University-wide web services (wifi, e-mail, HR, etc.) take
> this opportunity to heart and acquire legitimate certificates.
>
> If I remember correctly, certificates may be acquired through AIS (my
> apologies if I'm wrong on this, Mr. Porter!)

The MSUnet Wireless system has a unique problem with certificates, in that
the certificate chain can't be validated prior to login.  We are currently
using self-signed certs, because the certs from AIS don't help, being
chained certs.

We are attempting to improve the situation, but using Verisign certs is
a big $$$ expense.  We think we have a line on cheaper certs that are
directly signed by a cert listed in IE 7.  If that works out, we can
clean up the cert issue for the wireless network.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager		 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980