From: Peter J Murray [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Dell OptiPlex GX-270 Systems

This is a known problem with the GX-270.

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2005/8/30/0141/79530

or just a google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gx-270+motherboard+problems&btnG=Go
ogle+Search

As an aside, I recently had a in warranty graphics card fail, due to
bulging capacitors.

Peter Murray
James Madison College

Al Bray wrote:
> 3 years (and two weeks) ago we made a bulk buy of 90+ Dell OptiPlex
> GX-270 systems to replace older desktop machines for our users.
>
> Overall we have been satisfied with these systems.  But during the
last
> 7 months or so, we have had to replace the motherboards in 17 of these
> systems.
>
> The typical symptom that results in us having to request a replacement
> MB has been that the video signal from the built in video card would
> spontaneously go dead in the middle of using the machine.  No
> predictable pattern to when.  Power cycling the machine brings the
video
> back 99% of the time.  But once it starts to happen on a given
machine,
> it continues and increase in frequency.
>
> The first couple of times we suspected driver incompatibility, power
> supplies, etc.  But in the end, replacing the motherboard
(transferring