We have had multiple issues with the GX270 also.  Our issue had to do with
the bulged capacitors around the CPU.  When the issue occured the machine
would go completely dead (black screen, no harddrive activity etc...)
After the insta-halt on an attempted reboot the Bios would note that the
machine had been shut down due to a thermal event.

The issue is very common with these boxes and I have to hand it to Dell
who would quickly resolve the issue based on the support contract
purchased with the machine.  After replacing the Mboards we've had no
other issues.

Drew Bomhof
RTSF - System Administrator
202-C Biochemistry Bldg
e - [log in to unmask]
p - 517.353.7236
> 3 years (and two weeks) ago we made a bulk buy of 90+ Dell OptiPlex
> GX-270 systems to replace older desktop machines for our users.
>
> Overall we have been satisfied with these systems.  But during the last
> 7 months or so, we have had to replace the motherboards in 17 of these
> systems.
>
> The typical symptom that results in us having to request a replacement
> MB has been that the video signal from the built in video card would
> spontaneously go dead in the middle of using the machine.  No
> predictable pattern to when.  Power cycling the machine brings the video
> back 99% of the time.  But once it starts to happen on a given machine,
> it continues and increase in frequency.
>
> The first couple of times we suspected driver incompatibility, power
> supplies, etc.  But in the end, replacing the motherboard (transferring
> over the processor and memory from the existing MB) has been the
> permanent fix.
>
> I am wondering if anyone else purchased  some of these GX-270  systems
> and has experienced the same or similar issue.  Feel free to respond to
> me off list as I am not trying to bash the manufacturer, just figure out
> if it might be a manufacturer defect.  A 20% plus MB replacement rate
> seems out of the norm in my thinking.
>
> These machines are out of warranty as of two weeks ago, and we now have
> two more systems that are yet again experiencing this problem.
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> - Al
>

> --
>
> ===============================