We noticed a similar trend with a large batch of GX260's and similar
failures with the MBs in GX270's also.

Stephen Bogdanski           Network Support, MSU-CVM
Michigan State University  [log in to unmask]
A227 VetMed Center         Phone:          (517) 353-5551
East Lansing, MI 48824     Fax:              (517) 432-2937

>>> On 9/14/2006 at 3:11 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 3 years (and two weeks) ago we made a bulk buy of 90+ Dell OptiPlex
> GX-270 systems to replace older desktop machines for our users.
>
> Overall we have been satisfied with these systems.  But during the
last
> 7 months or so, we have had to replace the motherboards in 17 of
these
> systems.
>
> The typical symptom that results in us having to request a
replacement
> MB has been that the video signal from the built in video card would
> spontaneously go dead in the middle of using the machine.  No
> predictable pattern to when.  Power cycling the machine brings the
video
> back 99% of the time.  But once it starts to happen on a given
machine,
> it continues and increase in frequency.
>
> The first couple of times we suspected driver incompatibility, power
> supplies, etc.  But in the end, replacing the motherboard
(transferring