On Friday 15 September 2006 11:00, Al Bray wrote:
> I wanted to follow up on this issue.  I was contacted by Frank Krieber,
> MSU Dell Account manager this morning.  Scott Thomas had gotten in
> contact with about my concerns over  the MB/capacitor issue we have been
> experiencing.
>
> Frank shared that Dell has automatically extended the warranty of the
> GX270 / GX280  install base
> to cover any motherboard failures around this capacitor issue till Jan
> 2008 at no cost the customer.  To obtain service you would call Dell
> obtain replacement.
>
> Frank provided a PDF of the Out Of Warranty Support Program stating the
> extend warranty coverage on these machines.  It is normally frowned upon
> to send file attachments to list servers so if you are interested, let
> me know and I will forward a copy of the PDF directly.
>
> Frank assured me that if calling for support and you state you have one
> of these systems with the capacitor problem, there should be no issue in
> getting a replacement MB sent within the extended warranty period as
> their support people have all been informed of the issue and the
> extended warranty offering.
>
> Again thanks to all your feed back.  And thanks to Scott Thomas for
> making contact with Dell to ensure the issue was addressed.
>
> - Al

Thank you very much Al, for doing this.  I really did not expect them to
cover these systems till 1/08, but I am most glad of that.  If 270's
haven't died by then, they won't.  I know of a couple motherboards with
this problem and they haven't died, though three cratemates did go, so
not all of them die.  Covering us for another 14 months should fix about
all of them that do decide to die. Good news.

I'd appreciate a copy of that PDF, too.  Thanks!

--STeve Andre'
Political Science