I can't say much about comparing the wireless (do they use the same
antenna?  that might be more important than the wifi chipset).

But personally, I would try to hold off on buying laptops right now.
The Intel "Merom" chips are supposed to release next month. I haven't
heard as much about those as the desktop Core 2 Duo chips coming out
next week, but I think they are supposed to be 20% better performance
for similar prices.  And the power consumption is less, so batteries
should last longer.

Even if you don't get the new chip, I would think prices should drop
on the current models.