From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Bryan Murphy
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Password Expiration Policies

Hi Guys,

I am about to implement a password policy that calls for password
expiration
every 30 days.  I have run my policy by a small group of faculty and
found
that this (as I suspected) is the only point of contention in the
policy.

From a security stand point this is absolutely essential for a number of
reasons, and I have explained these reasons but still get guff.

For some reason stating "department x has this same policy" or "x % of
the
departments on campus already do this" works far better than logical
explanations... So I was wondering if anyone in NAG'Land would mind
sharing
what they are doing for departmental password policies.

Thank you.

---,
| Bryan Murphy, CISSP                        |
| Information Technology Coordinator         |       517.432.5939 w
|
| MSU Plant Research Lab & Plant Biology     |      517.355.1926 fax

| 132a Plant Biology Bldg.                   |
http://infotech.prl.msu.edu |
---'