On Friday 26 May 2006 17:07, Cheryl A Akers wrote:
> I hesitate to alert my users about the Symantec problem without a
> suggestion of something to do about it.  I know they won't uninstall
> Symantec and run out to buy another antivirus.  Any suggestions?  I have
> the ver 9 CD at work and could install that for users who have installed
> 10, but with the holiday that isn't going to work until Tuesday.
>
> As far as Google Desktop, I think the official Univ policy is to discourage
> its use but not forbid it.  I think it comes with the file transfer part
> turned off by default.
>
> Cheryl Akers
> Microbiology

I think we have to wait to see what Symantec comes out with, and
when.  Of course this has to happen just before a holiday weekend,
making a speedy fix all the harder.  The people at eeye are pretty
good, and I believe them when they say this one is nasty.

Myself, I'm hoping to get my department onto NOD32 at the start
of the fiscal year.  My experiences with it so far have been *great*.

I would not backtrack to version 9 of Symantec: that engine does
not detect things as well, has its own bugs, and means that you'd
have more work before you could get to the 'fixed' 10.1 version.

I'm keeping a window open on

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2006.05.25.html

to see if they magically come out with a fix this weekend. ;-)

--STeve Andre'
Political Science