Thank you to all who have replied thus far.

This logic is correct.  If an attacker manages to compromise an account
undetected and the pw never expires, they have free reign forever.

I have previously read most of the "security myth" documents that people
have linked too and generally disagree with the points made in them.

I am all to aware of the human factor when it comes to authentication so I
crafted my policy accordingly.  I do not disallow writing passwords on
post-its, but instead ask that they keep the post-it in a purse or wallet.

And also, having read this one for the first time (
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/05/SecurityMyths/def
ault.aspx), I disagree with most every point made in it.  :)

Essentially what this discussion comes down to is a difference between
system controls and user education/policy enforcement.  If both are in
place, things should be smooth, but one without the other will result in an
administration nightmare.

I'm thinking I may adjust the expiry time (a number of respondents say that
they keep it around 45 days) however I believe most of these arguments
against expiring all together are flawed and I will continue to abide by the
CISSP training and NSA best practice docs.

On an unrelated note... I get asked this a lot. :)  The support system that
I use at http://infotech.prl.msu.edu is Kayako eSupport (
http://kayako.com/esupport.php).  It is very versatile and a purchased edu
license is $250 and well worth the cost.  It also has an e-mail parser to
generate tickets based on emails sent to a support address.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming. :)

| Bryan Murphy, CISSP                        | [log in to unmask]  |
| Information Technology Coordinator         |       517.432.5939 w        |
| MSU Plant Research Lab & Plant Biology     |      517.355.1926 fax       |
| 132a Plant Biology Bldg.                   | http://infotech.prl.msu.edu |

-----------[ 5/16/06 12:13 PM [log in to unmask] ]--------------