According to another report, the state of Michigan was not included:

"In letters sent today, the RIAA and MPAA notified 40 university presidents
of information indicating campus LAN piracy problems on their campuses. The
universities receiving these letters are located in the following 25 states:
California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana,
Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New
Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota,
Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Washington, DC."

It's an interesting problem that I hadn't heard about before--file-sharing
software that limits itself to connections from the local subnet or domain,
so it can't be detected by the RIAA enforcers looking for illegal downloads
via the Internet. It limits the sharing to a network of thousands or tens of
thousands of computers rather than tens of millions, but that's probably big
enough for most people.