-----Original Message-----
From: cakinney [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 10:07 AM
To: Vicki Morrone
Subject: Re: FW: Thoughts on organizing: A proposal

Vicki Morrone wrote:
> Thoughts from an EFFS member of how we can proceed to stand up agains
PA
> 132

On
> Behalf Of Taylor Clarkston Reid
> Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:52 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Thoughts on organizing: A proposal
>
> I think Joe Scrimger's idea about organizing a network in Michigan
that
> is
> capable of coming together to form a united front in fighting these
> things
> is an excellent one. I too believe there is growing support for our
> shared
> vision of a food system that emphasizes farmer and citizen rights,
food
> safety and security, and environmental sanity.  Right now,
agribusiness
> is
> taking advantage of or lack of organization to challenge these values
> and
> consolidate its already powerful economic and political position. I
> don't
> think we need another organization with a board of directors and lots
of

> meetings, but we do need a way to get better organized, communicate
with

> each other, stay informed, disseminate information to the public, and
> speak
> with a united voice.  Maybe rather than having it be an organization
or
> group, we could think about it more as an initiative, or a coalition.
>
> I envision this as an effort specifically aimed at challenging
corporate
> ag.
> legislation, working toward pro-farmer public initiatives, and
fighting
> for
> equal representation within public institutions such as MSU, MSUE, and
> MDA.
> With the new election cycle coming up, we could also ask candidates
> seeking
> our votes to clearly articulate their positions on the issues that are

> important to us and help develop institutional support within the
> government.  I propose the name Michigan Citizens for Agricultural
> Democracy.  This kind of name is inclusive, in that it avoids any of
the

> buzz-words or misunderstood concepts (sustainable, alternative etc.)
and

> should allow for the inclusion of consumers and citizens as well as
> farmers,
> both organic and conventional.
>
> Efforts to challenge this new GMO legislation, ensuring that MSU,
MSUE,
> and
> MAES follow through with their recent commitments to acknowledge the
> growing
> importance of alternative agriculture and engage in a meaningful
> dialogue
> about our concerns, and organizing opposition to upcoming CAFO
> legislation
> seem like important priorities right now.  We need to get together and

> coordinate ourselves so that we are not simply a bunch of individual
> voices
> crying out in the wilderness.  Our effort to challenge this bill was
> unsuccessful in this round, but I am encouraged by the level of
> dialogue,
> new connections, and collective action we have been able to mobilize
in
> just
> a short period of time.  Rather than conceding defeat, perhaps we can
> capitalize on this momentum to develop a stronger farmer/citizen
voice,
> and
> a mechanism for working together to present a united front in future
> efforts
> to promote agricultural democracy and justice in Michigan. Please
share
> your
> thoughts on this.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Taylor Reid
> 517-862-2793

Tim,
I agree 100%.  Now would be a good time to get something started.  Many
growers will be selling to their customers at farmers markets and
roadside stands soon.  I think it would be very helpful to have a way to

disseminate information in a /united, organized /way / /via brochures,
stickers, signs, etc.  Let's use this opportunity to educate our
customers about this growing threat to their food supply.//   Maybe
Vicki's office could help?
Cynthia Kinney
Peace of Porter Farm
Lawton Michigan