Thoughts from an EFFS member of how we can proceed to stand up agains PA
132

-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Food and Farm Stewardship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Taylor Clarkston Reid
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Thoughts on organizing: A proposal

I think Joe Scrimger's idea about organizing a network in Michigan that
is
capable of coming together to form a united front in fighting these
things
is an excellent one. I too believe there is growing support for our
shared
vision of a food system that emphasizes farmer and citizen rights, food
safety and security, and environmental sanity.  Right now, agribusiness
is
taking advantage of or lack of organization to challenge these values
and
consolidate its already powerful economic and political position. I
don't
think we need another organization with a board of directors and lots of

meetings, but we do need a way to get better organized, communicate with

each other, stay informed, disseminate information to the public, and
speak
with a united voice.  Maybe rather than having it be an organization or
group, we could think about it more as an initiative, or a coalition.

I envision this as an effort specifically aimed at challenging corporate
ag.
legislation, working toward pro-farmer public initiatives, and fighting
for
equal representation within public institutions such as MSU, MSUE, and
MDA.
With the new election cycle coming up, we could also ask candidates
seeking
our votes to clearly articulate their positions on the issues that are
important to us and help develop institutional support within the
government.  I propose the name Michigan Citizens for Agricultural
Democracy.  This kind of name is inclusive, in that it avoids any of the

buzz-words or misunderstood concepts (sustainable, alternative etc.) and

should allow for the inclusion of consumers and citizens as well as
farmers,
both organic and conventional.

Efforts to challenge this new GMO legislation, ensuring that MSU, MSUE,
and
MAES follow through with their recent commitments to acknowledge the
growing
importance of alternative agriculture and engage in a meaningful
dialogue
about our concerns, and organizing opposition to upcoming CAFO
legislation
seem like important priorities right now.  We need to get together and
coordinate ourselves so that we are not simply a bunch of individual
voices
crying out in the wilderness.  Our effort to challenge this bill was
unsuccessful in this round, but I am encouraged by the level of
dialogue,
new connections, and collective action we have been able to mobilize in
just
a short period of time.  Rather than conceding defeat, perhaps we can
capitalize on this momentum to develop a stronger farmer/citizen voice,
and
a mechanism for working together to present a united front in future
efforts
to promote agricultural democracy and justice in Michigan. Please share
your
thoughts on this.

Sincerely,

Taylor Reid