Thanks to everyone for your thoughts....

Let me clarify my question:  assume you are giving advice to MSU students, or to people in MSU departments who do not have managed desktops, or, for that matter, to your friends and relatives.

What combination of anti-virus and anti-spyware would you suggest?

Is there an anti-virus product on the market today that you think would be adequate both for its anti-virus features, and as a good-enough general purpose anti-spyware tool?

The primary focus of my query is prevention, not eradication, though of course that's important as well...

Thanks,

/rich