Coming from a Unix/Mac background, and not having to deal with this crap,
until I bought my Toshiba cheap, crappy laptop (hardware definately has a
you get what you pay for rule) to run two programs.

This is what I was recommended to me:

Firewall
Zone Alarm for both inbound and outbound traffic. (outbound helps detect
spyware.)
-I was told explicitly not to use Windows Firewall or Black Ice.

Virus:
AVG antivirus (it is free for home use)
-I was told explicity not to use Norton (symantec) or McAfee.

For spyware, This was recommended to me. (I think you need a
combination..I dont know which ones are commercial nor do I care if they
work.)

Firefox (preventative)
Spyware Blaster (preventative)

(not any in order pick 2-3)
Spybot
Adware
WinDefender
Spysweeper
Spybot Search and Destroy

Just seems like a lot of cycles/time wasted to me.

I have heard of people using the HOSTS files for years. It works to some
degree. But seriously, after looking at a lot of fraudualant spam emails,
I have seen a number of the bank scam ones with ip addresses in them which
bypasses the hosts trick.

Whoever said their hasbro router/firewall was a deterrent on
ComCast. Mine was hacked within 5 minutes after disabling MAC address
filtering with wireless turned off. (I hadn't added my printer's MAC
address and needed to print off my tax forms.) Kind of a stark reminder
about network security.

Over the years, I have found MS Office Macro Viruses to be more of
a pain in my butt then anything.  I use OpenOffice, it is cross-platform
and free.

I _assume_ my windows box was hacked from the second I put it on the net.
If it is important information that needs to be secure, it is NOT on that
particular machine. I bought it to run two programs so wiping and
reinstalling, is always a legit option.

An important aspect of the reinstall option is backing up your files,
which i can be as guilty as anyone at home, but it is not mentioned nearly
enough. People are afraid of it.

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University