We are using a Canon IR3170, which is serving as a copier/scanner/network
printer.  We've had it about 6 months.

Everyone loves the network printing function. They think it's great to be
able to print 200 copies of a document without having to walk to the machine
and make copies. We have office staff who kindly stick jobs on people's
mailboxes, which spares them the arduous walk to the copy room.

The network scanning, however, is not so well-loved, because of the running
around required, as Kim describes.

My solution to this problem has been to put a tiny PC on the wall in the
copy room. Users can log on to the copy room computer, and stand right there
to perform their scan job. The copy room computer is a member of our windows
domain, so they can then save their file to a shared folder on the Copy Room
PC or any of their network shares, or they can manage the file in other
ways. (FTP it to AFS, e-mail it wherever they want using webmail, stick it
on a USB key.)

This has really helped make everyone happy with the scanner. We, too, can
only scan in black and white, though. This suits our needs fairly well,
though. I think Canon makes one that can scan in color, but you'd have to
ask your sales rep.

Best of luck;
Wendy