I've installed a couple Xerox's Workcentre Pro's at the Business college.
One of them is set up to scan to a network folder on the server.  It accesses this via FTP.  There is a software you can install on the clients to let them know when the scanning is done, and how to process this (OCR) etc..

The Xerox also has the ability to scan directly to email, and send out PDF's.  Only issue with that is we had to open up our email server for relaying for the IP of the Workcentre Pro.  They may have added a feature by now that allows an authenticated account.

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Wolf
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Networked Document Scanning

I'm looking into scanners that have an Ethernet connection to allow them to be shared across a department or workgroup.  If anyone has this kind of setup I'd like to hear about what you're using, how well it works, etc.  Thanks.

--Chris
Chris Wolf
Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017