From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Networked Document Scanning

Chris,

Can you give some insight into the mechanics of such a setup?  Would this be for single-sheet or a few sheets, or for mass volume scanning?  In any event, wouldn't the end use need to physically visit the device each time he or she uses it?

Network-attached printers evolved a long time ago because it's easy to generate a print job, and pick it up asynchronously, perhaps hours later.  I'm guessing that network-attached scanners aren't as obvious a setup because you inherently need to visit the device to start the job.  You also need to save the output somewhere, so wouldn't a network-attached PC with a shared drive fill the bill?

/rich