Here at the Library, we are running a number of Red Hat Enterprise
servers. About the time RHEL AS v.4 was released, we found that SMB
filesharing between Red Hat machines and client machines was becoming
very unreliable. We could not make shares available to any clients using
the smbfs protocol, although clients (except for MS Clients) could
mount/map shares with cifs. Until yesterday, our last RHEL AS v.3 server
(all the rest are v.4) was able to share Samba shares; this capability
broke yesterday after I installed a number of patches released by Red
Hat, including a number of Samba patches. It appears that our RHEL AS v3
server is now afflicted with the same semi-fuctional Samba that plagues
our v4 Red Hat boxes.

    Have any of you experienced this problem? And more importantly, has
anyone come across a fix, work-around, hack or kludge to deal with
this?

   Thanks,
              Eric Weston, Library Systems
Eric Weston, Information Technology Professional
MSU Libraries Systems
http://www.lib.msu.edu/westone