One of our former employees has started his own business. He has developed a great product for monitoring server events. The software is called EventSentry. It can be installed and managed on multiple servers from one central location. EventSentry includes a nicely designed web interface which provides easy access to event log information, server status, system information, installed applications (including security updates), available disk space, and the status of services. Features added to the latest release allow for process tracking, logon tracking and print tracking. EventSentry can also send server event log errors to an e-mail address or pager. You can specify which events are reported by source, code, and/or severity, for each individual server, a group of servers, or all servers at once. While EventSentry runs on Windows, and is mainly designed around Windows event logs, it can also process syslog files from Unix, Linux, and OSX servers, and Cisco routers.
If you get a chance, you may want to check it out at <http://www.eventsentry.com/>. A 45-day trial is available with the code MSU3047.
We have been running EventSentry here at the library for the last few years to monitor 25 Windows servers and are very pleased with the product. If you have questions about how we use it or how it has worked for us, please contact Joan Lindsay ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Michigan State University, Libraries
100 Library