I'm resending this to the NAG list.  My first message had an attachment
of a document scanned on the copier but it's been about 30 minutes since
I sent it.  I suspect the LISTSERV is blocking it.  Sorry if folks get a
duplicate.

Chris,

The Maintenance department at the Physical Plant recently leased a
Cannon Image Runner 4570.  This is a copier/printer/scanner/ fax system.
The thing I like about the scan feature on this copier is it will let
you send a scan from the copier as an attachment to an E-mail.  You can
input the E-mail address at the front panel or create an address book of
addresses that can be selected at the front panel.  We have it
configured to put the scanned image into a PDF formatted file but the
attachment format is configurable.  I also understand that this device
can dump it's scans to an network share but the E-mail method works so
well we haven't even looked at implementing it.

The scan feature, I have seen, on copiers up to this point required
coordination between starting up software on the workstation and
starting up scanning on the device which has been too clumsy for most
people to use.  I've also seen the copiers where you need to have a
workstation dedicated to being a scan server.  Neither of these are
required for the Cannon Image Runner 4570.  The only thing you need to
set up to use the E-mail scan function is to configure the copier to
point to an SMTP server.

******************************
David Vietti
Systems Administration Manager