Brian pointed out to me that this has changed since last November, and now
works as documented.  I just tried it and confirmed that.

In November Steve Anderson of ACNS told me that ACNS intentionally allowed
access to wireless.msu.edu without redirecting to authentication. This had
caused the documentation to be incorrect and he told me at that time that
they would update the documentation.  Now it appears that instead they
changed the authentication behavior back the way it was, so the existing
documentation is correct again.