From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Hoort, Brian
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] DHCP and Mobile Campus Users Woes

Doug, Jeffrey:

I'd like to make a comment responding to how we find MSU's WiFi
burdensome:  often our faculty or staff boot up their computers just for
their e-mail client, which fails.  At this point our craftier users try
opening a web browser, which works as their homepage is set to MSU.  At
this point we usually get a support call that their e-mail isn't
working.  In the worst cases, they've already changed configuration
settings in their e-mail client, further complicating the support call.
We first confirm their computer is connected to WiFi, and not connected
to MSU-WiFi-Guest (another frequent problem).  Next we tell them to fire
up their browser, and it of course works to an MSU page.  At this point
the client argues with us that they've already done this and the problem
is their e-mail.  We have to explain that they have to surf off-campus
to get the redirect.  This is one of those odd instructions that users
find completely random and unable to see the logic in it, find it
difficult to remember.  We tend to get this same issue called in
repeatedly from the same person before they get the hang of it.  It
would be far simpler to explain from the beginning, and would reduce the
number and length of our support calls if WiFi users were immediately
redirected to login, regardless of where they are surfing to.

PS. Even better, we wish it were on a 90-day (how about 30?) timeout
like wired-campus, but I believe that issue has already been discussed
here once in the past, so I'll be mum on that point.

Brian