At the College of Engineering, we have been happy with the
purchase of several Avocent Autoview 2000s.  You can chain
the controllers, you can buy appropriate modules for each
server type, and they send keyboard, mouse, and video over
a CAT-5 cable back to one of the controllers.  We have
USB/VGA dongles, and we tested them briefly with a Sun Blade 100
which worked fine.  I believe they also sell dongles for
older sun types.  Most of our rackmount servers are
Windows, FreeBSD, or Linux.