Along these same lines, the NSA makes some excellent step-by-step guides on
securing different operating systems, switches, routers, and so forth.  They
also have the excellent "60 Minute Network Security Guide" at
http://www.nsa.gov/notices/notic00004.cfm?Address=/snac/support/sixty_minute
s.pdf.

All of them can be viewed at
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_all.cfm?MenuID=scg10.3.1