The Search box on www.msu.edu works for finding MSU departments because we
have a facility called MSU Keywords which is populated with URLs for most
commonly-sought Web sites at MSU, and the keywords used most commonly to
search for them.

We also provide the Browse A-Z function using the same MSU Keywords
database.  Some people find this a useful alternative to browsing via the
topical or by-audience hierarchy.

The Browse A-Z is somewhat hidden on the existing site.  The beta site has
it at the top of the page.  We received one customer comment that they liked
this new feature and that it works much better than the Search function!

The Search and Browse A-Z functions on the beta site use the same MSU
Keywords database and should return identical results, only with the look of
the new site.  On both sites, if MSU Keywords doesn't find a match, we hand
the search off to the Google index of msu.edu.  (For instance, search for
"matanuska glacier".)

MSU Keywords entries are maintained primarily by me.  Unfortunately there
are times when changes occur and the database doesn't reflect them --
departments are created, merge, renamed, etc.  Anyone noting an error or
omission in MSU Keywords can click Contact Us and let us know we need to
make a change.

Ever since 1992 when I was MSU's Gopher Coordinator, I've dreamed of putting
the Departmental Listings section of the Faculty/Staff Directory online.
For a variety of reasons it never happened.  Maybe it will happen someday,
but in the Web era we may get to the point where that's no longer needed --
go to the main MSU home page, either search or browse A-Z, click on the
department Web site, find what you need.

/rich