From: John Gorentz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] New web site comments

I'm going to post some comments about MSU's new web site here.  I'd use
the on-line form for providing feedback, but that form insists on my
providing a ranking of a whole bunch of things before it'll let me
submit my comments.  I hardly ever participate in doing rankings on
surveys like that.   They're not going to provide the recipients with
useful information, so why should I waste my time on them?   It hurts my
head to try to squeeze my opinions into a 1-5 ranking.   And besides, I
didn't even have opinions on all the items that form asks about.

My comment is based on a look at the home page only.   The following is
what I tried to submit before I saw that the form wasn't going to
cooperate:

I don't think users with visual difficulties are going to like the way
the menu on the left overlaps the text.  I use IE6 SP1 with the
accessibility feature, "Ignore font sizes...".  I use this option
because most web pages use fonts that are too small for comfort.   I've
taken a screen shot of the results and have put it on my personal web
site for you to look at.  It's at
http://www.johngorentz.com/pix/msupage.jpg

There were no such problems with the old web page.

I like the color scheme on the old one better, too.   After all, it's
supposed to be "Go Green! Go White!", not "Go Green! Go Grey!"

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station