On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Samone E. Jones wrote:

> Good afternoon comrades,
>
> I wanted to get the group's take on suggestions for good project
> planning software.
>
> Ideally, I would like software that could allow users to manage
> several projects and
> allow them to get an overall "big picture" of several projects in
> progress and identify possible conflicts.
> Also I would like multiple users to manage centralized resources in
> a networked environment and
> be able to collaborate.
>
> I've already looked at Microsoft Project Professional and Project
> Kickstart.
>
> Is anyone using Microsoft Project Professional in the server
> environment with Microsoft
> Project server - if so please share your experience.
>
> Also any other suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

We use a series of free tools, which work fairly well for us, but
might not be robust enough for you.

We use bugzilla ( http://www.bugzilla.org/ ) for problem tracking and
development tracking.  It is has ways to list feature requests,
problems, etc and have those each assigned to a person.  It has many
virtues.

We use CVS ( http://ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page )
to keep track of the files we generate (99% programming source
files).  CVSWeb ( http://www.freebsd.org/projects/cvsweb.html ) is
one nice web-based way we browse our repository.  Bonsai ( http://
www.mozilla.org/projects/bonsai/ ) is another option we considered
for viewing our repositories online.

We also use the MoinMoin Wiki ( http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/ ) as
a sort of generic knowledge base for the projects we work on.

Additionally, as far as collaboration goes, we use our own IRC server
for inter-group instant communication.  It is handy for pasting
snippets of code or URLs back and forth instantaneously.

These tools, in concert, provide a fairly rich environment for
keeping a pulse on our projects.

It should probably be noted that there are *many* solutions of this
nature available for free, I've just briefly outlined the software we
use.

./matt

--
m. kolb  <[log in to unmask]>