I was wrong,  Remote Desktop on XP uses Type 10, while in 2000 it would use
Type 2.  The only other mention I found producing this error was logging in
through a KVM IP switch.  I don't suppose that workstation has had one of
those installed.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Logon-Types.html

-t

On 12/20/05, David K McFarlane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> > Sounds like you might possibly have a rootkit of some sort on the
> workstation.  In that case the following sites have great resources for
> detecting many of the more well known rootkits:
> >
> > http://www.systernals.com (RootkitRevealer, ProcExp, TCPView)
>
> Thanks.  I tried RootkitRevealer, it found nothing.  I have not tried the
> other tools yet.
>
> But back to the question:  Could a rootkit allow an attacker to log in
> over
> the network and yet have it show up as a console logon in the security
> log?
> This is really a question about the Windows security log and what it
> means.
>
> -- David McFarlane
>   Systems Designer
>   Michigan State University, Dept. of Psychology

Troy D Murray
Blog: http://troymurray.blogspot.com/