FYI:

First Trojan using Sony DRM spotted
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/10/sony_drm_trojan/

Stephen Bogdanski           Network Support, MSU-CVM
Michigan State University  [log in to unmask]
A227 VetMed Center         Phone:          (517) 353-5551
East Lansing, MI 48824     Fax:              (517) 432-2937

>>> Steve Bogdanski <[log in to unmask]> 11/09/05 10:38AM >>>
Another reported issue is with the patch that Sony will give you for this issue (once you jump through numerous hoops with them).  What it effectively does is stop the service that is running which hides file with "$sys$" as the extension.  Instead of having the user reboot to disable the service the patch issues a "net stop" command.  Because of the way this app/drm/rootkit/whatever hooks into the system, stopping it while windows is running can lead to a BSOD and system crash.  Here is a good set of articles on the issue:

Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

More on Sony: Dangerous Decloaking Patch, EULAs and Phoning Home
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/more-on-sony-dangerous-decloaking.html

Sony's Rootkit: First 4 Internet Responds
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/sonys-rootkit-first-4-internet.html

Stephen Bogdanski           Network Support, MSU-CVM
Michigan State University  [log in to unmask]
A227 VetMed Center         Phone:          (517) 353-5551
East Lansing, MI 48824     Fax:              (517) 432-2937

>>> Jeff Domeyer <[log in to unmask]> 11/09/05 10:24AM >>>
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a rootkit (at the moment). It just
has functionality that many rootkits employ. As to my knowledge, it
doesn't actually give administrative rights to a user, it only allows
for files/folders to be hidden from the normal mechanisms people use to
view them, plus a nifty call home feature which hasn't been fully probed
yet.

This doesn't mean in the future that someone couldn't find a way to
misuse this functionality, and I'm not saying that this is a "good"
thing, I'm just pointing out that it is incorrectly labeled as a rootkit
(at the moment).

What people should actually be worried about is the possibility of this
program to break currently existing software. It will currently hose a
Windows Vista system, and should throw off alarms from antivirus
software that detects rootkits. Since the software hasn't been fully
tested on machines in the real world, there is not a full understanding
of what it could break.

-Jeff