I wouldn't go so far as to call it a rootkit (at the moment). It just
has functionality that many rootkits employ. As to my knowledge, it
doesn't actually give administrative rights to a user, it only allows
for files/folders to be hidden from the normal mechanisms people use to
view them, plus a nifty call home feature which hasn't been fully probed
yet.

This doesn't mean in the future that someone couldn't find a way to
misuse this functionality, and I'm not saying that this is a "good"
thing, I'm just pointing out that it is incorrectly labeled as a rootkit
(at the moment).

What people should actually be worried about is the possibility of this
program to break currently existing software. It will currently hose a
Windows Vista system, and should throw off alarms from antivirus
software that detects rootkits. Since the software hasn't been fully
tested on machines in the real world, there is not a full understanding
of what it could break.

-Jeff