Hmm.... I think maybe there are two threads here:

1) The main Web site for MSU, www.msu.edu, will indeed be refreshed
early next year.

2) Many departments have asked for a template in order to tailor their
own Web sites to show a family resemblance to www.msu.edu.  Obviouosly
with a new site on the way, any such template would take after the new
look.  But, as I said, the Web Team is discussing how best to provide
this template.

There is not now a requirement that a departmental Web site adhere to
any particular look and feel, and I don't know of any discussion or
even any notion of making such a requirement.   The refreshing of
www.msu.edu doesn't change this.

Nonetheless, many departments realize that there are advantages to
having their Web presence appear to belong to the same institution.

What form a template might take would be an excellent thing to discuss
at the Webmasters meeting, which we are working on scheduling.

By the way, there is a current site providing some guidelines and
standard graphics at:

http://computing.msu.edu/webstyle/index.html

/rich