Sony BMG Pulling Controversial DRM
By Nate Mook <mailto: [log in to unmask]>, BetaNews
November 11, 2005, 1:58 PM
Following a week of consumer pressure, Sony BMG is backing away from its controversial CD copy-protection software <http://www.betanews.com/article/Sony_to_Help_Remove_its_DRM_Rootkit/1130965475>, which installs a rootkit to prevent the DRM from being removed and potentially opens the door for security vulnerabilities. The label will stop making CDs that use the technology, known as XCP.
"As a precautionary measure, Sony BMG is temporarily suspending the manufacture of CDs containing XCP technology," the company said in a statement. "We also intend to re-examine all aspects of our content protection initiative to be sure that it continues to meet our goals of security and ease of consumer use."

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Michigan State University, Libraries
100 Library