Does the computer itself see the drive?  Ie if Windows, does Control
Panel / System show the device at all, and, if so, does it show it as
functioning properly?  Are the indicator lights on the drive green?
Do you hear the sounds of spinning and seeking?

Have you tried plugging it into a different computer?

/rich