We believe we have done just about everything we can to notify individuals
about this change.

In the NAG meeting back in April, I indicated that we were not planning on
producing and providing all of these lists unless the situation seemed to
indicate that it was necessary. We instead planned on monitoring "the
numbers", running an intensive advertising campaign, and making sure the
help desks were sufficiently staffed to handle any problems.

The numbers at this point are:
Faculty/Staff:
 * 1788 of roughly 18,000 faculty/staff/adjunct/etc. need to change their
passwords.
 * Only 25 users of the RO web systems (out of just under 1,000) and 128
instructors (out of 3,320)  have not changed their passwords. The names of
these individuals were emailed to security administrators by the registrar
today.

Students:
1335 of roughly 44,000+ current students need to change their passwords.

In preparation for this change we have done the following:
(listed in FAQ at the link at the bottom of http://help.msu.edu/password/

Emails:
---------
* First e-mail, 2nd week of June.
* Second e-mail, 2nd week of July.
* Third e-mail, 2nd week of August.
* Fourth e-mail, 2nd week of September.
* Final e-mails on 9/21,9/22,9/23 and 9/26.
* A separate e-mail from the registrar to college security administrators
indicating the instructors in
  their areas that haven't changed their password.
* A separate e-mail message to Deans, Directors, and Chairs.
* Multiple e-mails with updates to university system administrators.

Additional Advertising included:
--------------------------------
* 1/4 page advertisements in the State News on 9/21,9/22,9/23 and 9/26.
* Web banner on the State News website during the final week.
* Login banners on mail.msu.edu, microlabs.msu.edu, angel.msu.edu, eHR,
StuInfo, faculty/staff FSRA
  system, and other key systems.
* Banner information provided to university housing to run on the housing
channel.
* Information provided to student radio for PSA.
* Article in "The Source".
* Articles in computing.msu.edu.

With all of the notifications we have sent over various types of media we
believe we have done just about all that we can to inform individuals that
this change is needed.

/Scott Thomas

Scott G. Thomas
Division Manager, Client Services