Surplus is already looking into this.  It would be their responsibility
to coordinate an effort such as this.

*********************************
Boyd Shumaker, C.P.M., A.P.P.
Michigan State University
University Services
Phone: 517 355-0357 Ext. 162
FAX: 517 353-2024
WWW http://usdinfo.msu.edu
*********************************

>>> John Resotko <[log in to unmask]> 9/19/2005 9:26 am >>>
Quite possibly, but if this were a coordinated university-wide effort,
it might make more sense to actually recruit Surplus or a related
department to coordinate such an effort.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not
volunteering anyone for this duty, as I know anything like this would
require a lot of work and effort to make happen.  I guess what I'm
really asking this audience is, could you get behind this idea or is it
a waste of time and effort to consider this when eventually, a lot of
this kind of equipment would be replaced with new gear?

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836
Fax: 517-432-6861

Current Chairperson of the
MSU Network Communications Committee

>>> "Bosman, Don" <[log in to unmask]> 9/19/2005 9:20 AM >>>
Wouldn't the board of trustees have to pass a special authorization to
allow this? It is my understandly, subject to correction, that
university departments are required to send everything to surplus for
disposal.

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Michigan State University, Libraries