On my last job we used the Linux Virtual Server Project (
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/) and later switched to Virtuozzo (
http://www.sw-soft.com/en/products/virtuozzo/).

Neither worked all that great for our purposes because each virtual
dedicated server had a different client on it so it was always a fight over
who got the most resources.  The Linux virtual server project had no way of
limiting cpu and ram consumption on a per virtual server basis hence the
switch to virtuozzo.  This took care of that problem by jailing each server
into its own fixed amount of resources making it very slow by default (the
smallest account was capped at 256megs of available physical memory).

If you will be the owner of all virtual servers on a given physical server
then the Linux virtual server project would be ideal (and is free).

Hope that helped.