On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, STeve Andre' wrote:

>    A user told me they couldn't get on the net after lunch today.
> When they booted up they wern't on the net.
>
>    Looking at the machines IP address I see 192.168.1.x.  Doing
> a release and then renew usually, but not always results in getting
> the proper 35.10 address.
>
>    I'll bet that its a student machine, or someone installed a wireless
> access point backwards, etc.  My question is, whats the best way
> to hunt it down?
>
> Thanks, STeve Andre'
> Political Science

It depends on what OS the mis-directed system is running.

If it is Windows XP, open a text window (Start > Run > "cmd", if it's not
in a menu somewhere) and type "ipconfig /all" -- along with the bogus IP
address it's received, there will be an entry for "DHCP Server" -- the IP
address of the system which gave it that IP address.  You may then possibly
be able to ping that IP address, and if it responds, the MAC address may be
in your arp table ("arp -a", both under WinXP and Linux/ Unix).  Doug Nelson
or other ACNS network folks might then be able to tell where in your
building (plus or minus) this MAC address is connected.  This won't always
work for various reasons, but it works often enough to be worth a try.

I think Windows 2000's "ipconfig /all" also lists "DHCP Server" but I have
no readily available test system just now.

There are DHCP tools available under Linux, one of which, "dhclient", has
a debugging mode, set by command line flags, where it will send out a DHCP
request and then lists the responses it gets without actually acting upon
them. There may be other similar tools for Linux and for the various other
BSD and Unix flavors.  I found this handy once in a case where the campus
DHCP server _usually_ beat the rogue DHCP server to issuing the address,
so the false IP assignments were really rare and random, but this tool
allowed me to see both responses, quick (campus) and slow (rogue), for a
given DHCP request.

George J Perkins                  http://www.pa.msu.edu/people/perkins/
1209B BPS Bldg, MSU               Phone: 517-355-9200 ext 2567
East Lansing, MI  48824-2320        FAX: 517-353-4500