At 05:24 PM 8/26/2005, Tom Rockwell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have about 50 ethernet cables to label (need 100 labels).  It seems that the Panduit Self-Laminating Laser Printable Labels would be nice to use.  However, all the online vendors I look at only sell them in large quantities (1000-5000 minimum).
>
>Does anybody have some of these they could sell or know of a source for small quantities?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

How badly do you need the self-laminating feature?   There are other people who sell sheets of laser-printer labels for cables, but I've not seen any that are self-laminating.   I am planning to buy a quantity of labels of this kind, and I probably would need at least 1000 -- maybe more like 2000.  But I don't really need the laminating, and I don't like dealing with Panduit, either directly or through its distributors.

I dislike dealing with Panduit because even though they have a web presence, their sales are still pre-internet.   I recently bought a pile of wallplate adapters that nobody else made (for mounting Hubbell jacks).   An electrical contractor in the area got me a sample, and then sold me some -- about $400 worth.   It took a while to get them.   In this case I had looked high and low, but nobody else in the known universe made such an adapter.

A few years ago when I thought we might be using a lot of Panduit, I bought a crimp tool and RJ-45 plugs from them.  I had been having trouble with an older crimp tool that I had had for many years.   I liked the Panduit combo a lot, but more recently when I went to buy more RJ-45 plugs, my online request for a quote was ignored.   I found another supplier who makes plugs that work just fine with my old crimp tool, and maybe even with the Panduit one.

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station