Golly can I put my foot in my mouth or what? At least I'll admit it in public and apologize.

I got Storage server mixed up with Data Protection Server.

Storage server does support hybrid networks. The clients reside on the Linux or Unix shares. It uses Windows Services for Unix.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/2/1/b2166b3d-bc0a-4b65-93d2-0fbc2929d85f/Windows%20Storage%20Server%202003%20in%20a%20Hybrid%20Network.doc

Microsoft Data Protection Server (DPS) uses Volume Shadow Copy and which at this time can't deal with Linux or MAC or Solaris. DPS is available now as the beta Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager. Info available here... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/dpm/default.mspx

Given that we are a large institution with a lot of theoretical purchasing power, how about getting a vendor to do a live demo for a NAG meeting? I presume the caller making the request would have to represent a department actually interested a possible purchase. Libraries is involved with a NAS solution utilizing MAC XServ Raid http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/ so we're not in the market. David Bryson is heading that up for us. [log in to unmask]

Don Bosman