As you know, ACNS upgraded the Kerberos authentication system to Kerberos 5
on May 11th. In the NAG meeting that took place on 4/22/05 we indicated that
we would start informing customers of the need to change their password in
the second week of June.

The first notice was e-mailed on June 14th. We will be sending out the
second notice next Tuesday, 7/12/05.

The e-mail will go to anyone who hasn't changed their password after
5/11/05. Additional e-mails will be sent to individuals who still haven't
changed their password during the second weeks of August, and September.

Since the first notification 23,140 individuals have changed the passwords
out of 119,347 active NetIDs (4,960 faculty/staff, 17,505 students, and the
rest were "others").

The FAQ (which is linked from the computing article mentioned in the
message) is available at:
http://techbase.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=3973 .

The second e-mail is similar to the first one but we have:
1) Changed the subject line.
2) Added the customers NETID in the subject and body of the message.
3) Included a sentence that confirms they have to change their password even
if their current password meets the new rules.

Both communications are logged at http://help.msu.edu/communications as
indicated in the e-mail.