Great--that's exactly what I wanted to know. To make sure I'm interpreting it right, are the following both correct?

1) A vacation message is sent in response to spam as well as non-spam, and

2) If a user has chosen the preference to redirect spam to the SPAM mailbox, those spam messages will still be processed by any filters the user has set up.

Thanks.

At 01:57 PM 7/8/2005, m. kolb wrote:
>Chris Wolf <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>> Could someone from the mail team document for us the order in which
>> various parts of the mail processing are carried out for incoming
>> mail? This would include:
>>
>> Virus blocking
>> (Auto)Forwarding
>> Blocked Domains
>> Blocked Senders
>> SPAM processing
>> Vacation message
>> Filters
>> [Any others I've forgotten?]
>>
>> At each stage it would be important to know whether a message that is
>> acted upon in that stage then leaves the processing stream, or if it
>> continues on to the next stage.
>>

>1. Virus scan:
>   If a virus is found the message does not get delivered (it in fact is
>   rejected during the data ACL of the SMTP transaction).  Otherwise,
>   the message goes to step 2.
>
>2. Forward (from the preferences menu):
>   This is "forward file forwarding."  If your forward file is not
>   empty (you set it on the preferences page in webmail), the message is
>   sent to the forwarding address without further processing.  If the
>   forward file is empty or non-existant, processing continues with step
>   3.
>

>3. Blocked Domains:
>   If the domain of a sender matches one of the blocked domains in your
>   webmail "blocked domains" preference, the message is delivered to
>   /dev/null, at which point, obviously the delivery process is ended.
>   If the domain does not match one of those in your "blocked domains"
>   it continues to step 4.
>
>4. Blocked/Trusted Senders:
>   Very similar to step 3.
>
>5. Vacation:
>   Regardless of whether or not you have your vacation message turned
>   on, delivery continues.
>
>6. Spam Assassin:
>   There are no drops that happen here, message delivery continues.
>
>7. Filters (set up via webmail):
>   This is the last step before delivery.  Obviously a variety of things
>   can happen here, including forwarding to a different address.
>
>> I tried to find this information on line but could not. Having this
>> documented would allow us to answer user questions like "If I forward
>> my mail, is it still checked for viruses and spam by MSU?"
>
>I know these are just examples, but I decided to answer them anyway.
>
>It will be scanned for viruses, but not checked by Spam Assassin via the
>"forward file" mechanism.  However, if you have your SPAM filtering or
>flagging turned on and you forward via a filter, it will be scanned.
>

>> "Will my vacation message go to every single message that is addressed
>> to me?".
>
>Only once per week per sender.  That is, say you turn on your vacation
>message on Monday the 18th:
>1. On Tuesday the 19th [log in to unmask] sends you a message.
>2. [log in to unmask] immediately receives a copy of your vacation message.
> [...]

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017