It does depend on what you want to do with the server.  If there is a machine that is critical with littler or no down time, then split the backplane using dual processors, one to be RAID 1 and the other to be RAID 5.  If it is mission critical with no down time, then RAID 10 would be appropriate.

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Arthur H. Shank II (Chip)
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 10:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] PERC Card Clarification

Does anybody have a strong opinion on the benefits/differences to the following PERC cards, that can be ordered on DELL Poweredge Servers?

We will be running RAID 5… and currently I was just going to stick with the EMBEDDED perc, as I have done in the past….  I don’t see any real advantage to having the extra CARD???

1. Embedded PERC4ei

2. PERC4/DC card

3. On-Board RAID 5, Split Backplane

Thanks,