From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Peter J Murray
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] symantec AV quality

Hello

The other day, I came across a slashdot article of all things about the
Symantec/Veritas merger.  A lot of comments inside seemed to complain about
Symantec Antivirus quality, as in having problems in keeping viruses out,
and it not picking up everything it should.  That started me thinking, and
then I realized that I did have some issues with Symantec Antivirus.  For
one, all of my machines are centrally managed through they Symantec system
console, which doesn't work as well as it could, but the important part is
that all the machines do have updated signatures.  However, a virus,
backdoor.hackdefender seems to be making its rounds on some of my systems,
despite being fully patched with the windows firewall turned on, and being
protected by SAV.  One one of my machines, this same virus is detected upon
each bootup by the filesystem realtime protection, however, a full scan of
the machine reveals nothing.  Again, this machine is fully patched and
firewalled.

As another test, I did a scan on some archived backup materials from a few
years ago, and SAV did not find as nearly as many issues as the Trend Micro
online scanner did.

I'm starting to think that SAV may not be ideal.

So, I'd like to know what others are using for their Anti Virus products,
and their sucess with them, and if possible, how much you are paying.  Also,
what are you using for firewall products, if any.  And lastly, I'd welcome
any comments on what others are doing to protect their systems, such as any
firewall solutions, etc, especially related to servers (Windows Servers
primarily).

Peter Murray
James Madison