Like they use to say in the old days, “Right On!”   You dear friend hit it on the mark. We have to protect what was gained through hard struggle by uniting as many as possible.

Ozzie Rivera

Madonna University

From: Retention & Graduation Issues Concerning Minorities in Higher Education [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ganges, Tendaji
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 2nd Annual Policy Seminar in Lansing

TRIO Folks -

(For those of you who are subscribed to both TRIO and KCP lists, I apologize in advance for the double mailing.)

I think the TRIO community is missing the boat, at least the Michigan contingency is. With all of the recent hustle to protect TRIO and GEAR UP funding, we seem to have overlooked the natural connection between the Michigan TRIO programs and the Michigan King-Chavez-Parks Initiative. The KCP Initiative (with just under a $5.2 Million state allocation) is being considered for total elimination by the Michigan House as we correspond in cyberspace. Indeed, the precedent was set by the governor herself when she failed to ignore or to reverse a recommendation made to her by one or more of her aides/advisors to eliminate KCP from her budget plans for next year. Although the Senate has included full KCP funding in its budget recommendations thus far, the House appropriations subcommittee has recommended the complete elimination of all KCP programs. The recently released House omnibus bill also reflects zero funding for KCP.

Then again, the KCP community is missing the boat as well. KCP hasn’t reached out to TRIO the way it should have.

Yet there IS a connection between EOP and TRIO, as I've noted loudly for the past couple of decades. That's exactly why, without any TRIO funding, my office (partially supported with KCP funding) has always worked collaboratively with all TRIO programs and organizations to ensure TRIO funding and stability. It’s all about the WHOLE!

Consider how many Michigan campuses have both TRIO and KCP programs. It is NOT a coincidence that both are under fire while the Michigan Civil Rights Institute (MCRI) also works hard to eliminate Affirmative Action and ALL programming that addresses inequities -- what the MCRI refers to as "preferential programs".

I had assumed that there was already a good deal of cross-fertilization between the two "camps" but I think my assumption is overly optimistic. I don’t see nearly enough collaboration and shared efforts.

The near complete success in restoring major program cuts in TRIO and GEAR UP is to be applauded, but that is, in my opinion, a temporary battle victory. The forces that attacked this time have not been eliminated; just beaten back from the front. They WILL be back, and with a vengeance. They have ALWAYS been there. They will ALWAYS be there. And we ALL need to be prepared to fight when they return for the next round of attacks.

If we wish to talk about a state "policy seminar" for TRIO -- then let's talk seriously about the WHOLE picture. The Cherry Commission has recommended that Michigan double its college graduation rate in a decade. TRIO is a natural part of what the KCP programs are striving to achieve -- reaching equity/parity amongst and for ALL of the citizens. If we are to hit the Michigan "hill" then we must be ready to support and defend the ENTIRE thrust, not just those individual offices in which we work.

The Center for Individual Rights, the American Civil Rights Initiative (and its Michigan counterpart), the Center for Equal Opportunity (all ultra conservative groups despite what their names would imply -- and that's by design) are the names of our enemies...and THEY are VERY clear on who and what they are fighting against...and WHO they will work WITH!!!

Are WE as focused and united as they are?! If the answer is no, we will lose this battle and ultimately the war!

(For some quick reference information about KCP, I’m attaching a document that includes some facts, figures and talking points about the KCP programs. It has been compiled by the KCP officers using state-wide data.)

Let's decide to hit the Michigan Hill in force, collaboratively, focused and unified! And we can’t wait until September for KCP. We must act now!!!

By the way, who is aware of the K-16 Rally in Lansing on Tuesday, June 21?! We should ALL be THERE as well! Check out the following: http://www.michigank16.org/ I and a number of the KCP folks are planning to attend the June 21 rally. Who can join us?!

Tendaji

Tendaji W. Ganges

Assistant to the Chancellor and

Executive Director