The university participates in a theft protection program called STOP.
 Please see:

http://universitystores.msu.edu/html/stock/stop.asp

Each summer during Orientation when I speak to parents, possible theft
of their students' computers is a big concern.  Each year DPPS tells
me that the vast majority of thefts are opportunistic:  dorm doors
left open, or laptops left unguarded in the library.

/rich