Kim Geiger wrote:

>On 16 May 2005 at 16:10, Richard Wiggins wrote:
>

>>After the implementation of Kerberos 5, we learned that anyone
>>changing their password to longer than 8 characters would no
>>longer be able to use services authenticated by Sentinel. We also
>>learned that ANGEL is similarly affected. Therefore we temporarily
>>changed NetID.msu.edu<http://NetID.msu.edu>to limit the max
>>password length to 8, and the Kerberos config to allow a password
>>as short as 6 characters. AIS is working on the Sentinel-Kerberos
>>issue, and the ACNS ANGEL team is working on that side.
>> After these issues are resolved, we do plan on going forward with
>> the
>>policy of 8 characters as the minimum password length.
>> /rich
>>

>Additionally, the ACNS Help Desk told me that:
>
>"With all the new changes that went through the past 48 hours, the system
>authentication for password change should be done using your PID and PAN/PIN.
>This service can be done at netid.msu.edu and selecting the "forgot my password"
>option.  "
>
>Is it true that you have to dig up your PAN/PIN number to make the password
>change, and go through the forgot my password screen?
>
>My users are starting to fuss...
>

>Kim Geiger
>Information Technologist
>MSU Broadcasting Services
>538 Communication Arts & Sciences Building
>East Lansing, MI 48824 - 1212
>517-432-9527 x 429

I believe you only need to use the 'forgot my password' link if you
truly have forgotten your password. Netid should work as it always has
except it will enforce the 6~8 character password length.
/sd

--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems

301 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra