On 16 May 2005 at 16:10, Richard Wiggins wrote:

> After the implementation of Kerberos 5, we learned that anyone
> changing their password to longer than 8 characters would no
> longer be able to use services authenticated by Sentinel. We also
> learned that ANGEL is similarly affected. Therefore we temporarily
> changed NetID.msu.edu<http://NetID.msu.edu>to limit the max
> password length to 8, and the Kerberos config to allow a password
> as short as 6 characters. AIS is working on the Sentinel-Kerberos
> issue, and the ACNS ANGEL team is working on that side.
>  After these issues are resolved, we do plan on going forward with
>  the
> policy of 8 characters as the minimum password length.
>  /rich

Additionally, the ACNS Help Desk told me that:

"With all the new changes that went through the past 48 hours, the system
authentication for password change should be done using your PID and PAN/PIN.
This service can be done at netid.msu.edu and selecting the "forgot my password"
option.  "

Is it true that you have to dig up your PAN/PIN number to make the password
change, and go through the forgot my password screen?

My users are starting to fuss...

Kim Geiger
Information Technologist
MSU Broadcasting Services
538 Communication Arts & Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824 - 1212
517-432-9527 x 429