Ours go all over the world and we don't insure them.  We've had two thefts that I can recall in twenty years of faculty use of portables.  One was in a U.S. airport, the other was from an office on campus.  I'm pretty sure that insurance costs for all our portables for all those years would have been much higher than the cost of replacing two computers. I'd be interested in others' experiences.

At 03:11 PM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
>Do any of your insure your laptops?  While Dell complete care works well
>for damage and spills, what about outright theft?  Does the university
>have a preferred insurance provider?  Many of our laptops go on trips
>with various faculty to all parts of the world.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017