I would be interested in knowing how these counts of events originating off campus compare to the number of "critical" and "major" events that originate within the campus network. Were you going to do any testing of this nature?  Unfortunately, any testing you might do right now would not reflect the situation when students are all on campus.

At 03:32 PM 5/26/2005, Doug Nelson wrote:
>To all interested parties:
>
>Our test of the campus border Intrusion Detection and Prevention system
>today has been successful.  The decision has been made to continue the
>test through Friday and the holiday weekend, and possibly beyond that.
>
>Since enabling the IDP this morning, the system has blocked over 5,500
>"critical" network events, and over 50,000 "major" network events.  To
>the best of our knowledge, all of these are events that we would all
>want to block, and we are confident that there would be few, if any,
>false positives in these groups.
>
>Doug
>

>--
>

>Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
>Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
>Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017